Last night I participated in the JP Morgan Corporate Challenge race in Boston. This course is 3.5 miles long, starting and ending on Charles Street between the Boston Garden and the Boston Commons. The first time I ran this race was in 2008, with my prior employer. I was eager to meet new people as part of my new employer's corporate team. I saw a few familiar faces (undergrad friend, grad friend and friend from middle school that I've reconnected with through some work friends). It wasn't as good of a networking opportunity as I thought it was going to be though. But I started out with my friend Mike from college.
The start was insane, as expeceted for 12,000 runners for a 3.5 miler. But we crossed the start in no time. Runners were speeding by, weaving the entire time. Volunteers were trying their best to keep runners off the sidewalk.
The race went down Commonwealth Ave. to Kenmore Square (near Fenway), turned around to go back down Comm. Ave and finish on Charles Street. I started out slow by quickly found myself running faster and faster. At one point I was holding a pace of 8:45. But by the halfway mark, I was feeling it. But I kept on chugging, knowing that this would be an easy PR and a good workout. I wasn't sure how it was going to go, given that I had run 13.1 miles on Sunday in the heat. But all things considered, I thought I did great!
My time in 2008 was 32:47 and I came in at 32:28! A PR by only a few seconds! (Apparently I used to be faster?!)
Anyway - definitely a crowded race - but always fun to go out and support your company and see all your corporate friends!
No comments:
Post a Comment