Monday, May 23, 2011

Getting back into the swing of things…

Slowly but surely, my body is beginning to crave running. (If that is even possible!) It feels weird to not revolve my weekends around long runs or fueling my body. Although, I feel like I’ve still been eating like I’m training for a marathon. Need to work on that…

Ryan and I just spent 3 days in Myrtle Beach for my friends Holly and Nate’s wedding. All of the hockey girls were down celebrating, relaxing and partying it up. The wedding was a blast and lots of beach time was incurred.

Bridesmaid_Holly  toesinsand

Yesterday I went for my longest run yet since the marathon. I ran with my friend Catie from Team Challenge and Cops for Kids with Cancer, as well as my friend Vanessa from high school. Catie and I trained together for Boston this year and Vanessa is training for her first half marathon that she’ll be running this weekend. Since I hadn’t run much I wanted to get in a solid long run before this weekend’s half marathon as well. We ran at Castle Island in South Boston and even crossed paths with the Harpoon 5 Miler race that was going on. We had a free cheering squad and water stop around mile 4.

 

Castle Island 2.12.11

Old picture from winter training – but this is Castle Island

 

The run went well. My Garmin died around mile 6, forgot to charge it.  Catie and I distracted Vanessa from her first 10 miler ever but constant chatter and laughs, mixed in with singing some lyrics. My goals for the run were to just run 10 miles, run with friends and help Vanessa through it. Goals accomplished. The 10 miles went by fast, we picked it up towards the end. And I was starving. Very proud of my friends that are getting into running!

 

This weekend is the Vermont Marathon relay. I will be running with my friend Meg as a 2 person relay! I’ll be running the first leg and Meg is running the second leg. I am very much looking forward to running in my college town and seeing all the familiar faces in the area cheering on the runners! This is a big race for locals as well as those coming back into town to run with family and college friends. I can’t wait to go to my favorite restaurants as well! Saturday night I plan to make dinner for Meg, our Ryan’s (she has a Ryan too!) and me. Pasta and meatballs and garlic bread! Maybe some salad!

Team relay name: Grit and Gu! Thank you Meg for coming up with it! And also, my POWER WORD! Psyched!

I’ll be running the first leg, which goes out on the beltline and down Church Street, the marketplace area (pumped to be on this section!) and some residential areas. Meg’s leg will be closer to the waterfront, which the organization is trying to clean up after all the flooding they have had.

Lake Champlain_VT Unplugged

Lake Champlain – from Vermont Unplugged Half Marathon April 9, 2011

Hope to get in a post before the relay, but if not – expect a full race report next week!

Song of the Post: "Lazy Song" - Bruno Mars (feeling lazy)

1 comment:

  1. the marathon relay sounds cool! wish I signed up for it! I'll be in Bourne doing a Duathlon- you guys will kick some butt! And my body is craving running right now too- Even though it's still sore from my relay.. it's funny what those endorphins do hu?

    ReplyDelete