Thursday, May 5, 2011

Towel Snatcher

Towels

I’ve been wanting to write a blog post about locker room etiquette for awhile now. And Monday’s Towel Snatcher was the last push I needed to do so.

As most of you avid readers know, I go to spin class during lunch on Mondays and Thursdays. Sometimes it’s crowded at lunch and other times it’s completely dead. Luckily, I’ve never had to wait for a shower. After spin, I usually grab two (very undersized) towels, take off my spin shoes and hit the scale for a check-in. I then drop what I don’t need at my locker and hit the showers. I tend to use the same stalls, get in, take my clothes off in the shower stall (since I am extremely modest and probably scarred for life when my mom and step-mom took me to Filene’s Basement Running of the Brides the day after to try on my junior prom dress and I had to undress in front of everyone – yup, no changing rooms). I then place my clothes on the floor outside of the shower and hang my two towels on a hook. Mind you – there aren’t enough hooks for all the showers in my row. There’s one hook between each shower, leaving one hook short.

I go about my business, soap and sometimes shampoo depending on when I last washed my thick (now long) hair. I grabbed my first towel, dry off, and wrap it around the bottom half of my body (yes, I need two because as my friend says, they are postage stamp size). I go to reach for the second and it is COMPLETLEY GONE! WHAT!?! Who steals towels? I took a peak to see if I could spot the towel snatcher but alas, no luck. Gah. At least I still had one right?

About two weeks ago, something similar had happened. Because of the shortage in hooks, after I took my first towel off, someone got into the shower to my left, and TOOK MY 2nd TOWEL OFF THE HOOK AND THREW IT ON THE DIRTY FLOOR! Really ladies? In the words of Michelle Tanner, HOW RUDE!

 

MichelleTanner

Pet Peeves of the Locker Room

#1 and #2 Taking up too much space and leaving your stuff everywhere. Most of my annoyances spark from one girl in particular. She works out during lunch so I’ll see her on Mondays and Thursdays. If I go to the gym on other days, I try to go later on so that I miss having to deal with her in the locker room. She hogs space. From, taking up an entire area near a row of lockers, to hogging the benches so I can’t sit in put on my socks or shoes, to leaving her smelly stuff all over the floor while she’s in a shower. Not only is it disgusting, but people can’t walk around and might trip on her stuff! There are lockers for a reason. If you can’t fit your stuff in one locker, use two! You clearly don’t care about your stuff anyway when you leave it everywhere!

#3 Leaving your wet/dirty towels on the floor. Yes, there is a cleaning lady. But why not make her job easier? There is a place to put dirty towels!

#4 Walking around in your birfday suit. Ok, I admit it that I’m modest. But does everyone really need to see your stuff? Put a towel on it.

#5 Not sharing the mirrors. I don’t need to spend hours in the mirror fixing myself before I go back to work or home, but could you please move over and share the space? Oh, and you don’t need tha tmuch make-up to workout!

*What are some of your experiences in the locker room? What are your pet peeves? Do you think people respect others when dressing and undressing?*

 

Today’s Workout

Spin Class: 45 minutes – warm-up/stretch followed by 4 “fully loaded” loops (as the instructor called it). Each look consisted of 4 circuits seated flat, standing flat, seated climb, standing climb. Each circuit was 45 seconds to start then we built up after each “loop” to 1 minute, 90 seconds, 2 minutes. She threw in some sprints or jumps here and there to trick us. We ended with a 4 minute hill.

I really didn’t want to go to spin today. I’ve been tired and sort of in a funk (post marathon depression coming off race high? perhaps – but lots of others things too). But I knew that I’d feel better after. My motto for getting back into things is “I never regret a workout.” And today, I was so glad I went to spin. I was in a better mood, the intensity and energy of the class was awesome (full class!).

Song of the Post: "Rumor Has It" - Adele

2 comments:

  1. I had this happen to a friend of mine at my gym... and the worst part is the towels are stored OUTSIDE the locker room, so she had to walk from the showers to the locker totally nakie and use her clothes to dry off. WORST NIGHTMARE. If you get stuck yourself - maybe you forgot your towel? - ask for one, or take it and replace it. It's not that hard!!! Another locker-room pet peeve: loud phone conversations. Not the place, sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in a locker room once at a gym, which I'm very modest like yourself, so I was completely uncomfortable. The woman next to me takes all her clothes off, then continues to bend over right next to me sticking her gigantic ass right in my face while she tries to spark up a conversation. Really lady? I haven't used a locker room since.

    ReplyDelete