Thursday, April 28, 2011

I’m back in the game

image

Well my friends, the Boston Marathon is officially over. 353 days to wait again.

After taking about a week to rest and recover, I finally got back into the swing of things this week. No running just yet but back to spin class and just reviewing how the marathon went for me and my overall training. Recovering can be hard. It takes time and patience. For me, day 2 after the marathon was the hardest. I had to go back to work and sit at a desk all day, not fun! But I must say that my first ice bath was a huge success and can’t wait to do it again. (Yes, I just said that.) By Friday my body felt great, especially after my massage at Gretta Cole that evening.

One of the weirdest things about recovery was that I really wasn’t hungry last week. I felt that I had lost my appetite. I had in fact also lost a couple pounds, but my body tends to fluctuate 2-3 pounds +/- anyway. But knowing that I needed to refuel my body after the marathon, I forced in as much protein, carbs and fluids possible.

So now what?

Vermont City Marathon: 2 Person Relay

Boston is over and now what will I do with myself. Well I plan to continue with some races. Right now I have registered for at least two half marathons. Sunday May 29th I’ll be running in the Vermont City Marathon Relay with my friend Meg. We are doing a 2-person relay. I’m so excited to be there for Meg’s first half marathon and to be running in my college town. Everyone who has done this race that I know has raved about it!

image

Meg, her husband Ryan and myself at their wedding last June

Rochester Half Marathon

Then in September I’ll be running Rochester Half Marathon with my stepmom, two of her friends that are “Ironwomen” and possibly one of her other friends. It’s pretty funny to think that 14 years ago I was just a 12 year-old looking up to these fun, goofy women. But now, I’ll be running a half marathon with them in their hometown. AND two of them are Ironwomen. NUTS. But I am very much looking forward to it. Rochester is supposed to be a generally flat course, so I’ll be looking to PR this course and hopefully working towards that really hard this summer.

Other Races that I’m contemplating

Sunday August 14th: Falmouth Road Race. Most likely I’ll already be down the Cape. I ran this race 2 years ago and absolutely loved it! The course is hard for the 7+miler and a lot of fun! The spectators for the short race and a blast! Tons of food and activities at the finish. Only thing is that it is brutally hot! The lottery opens May 1st, so hopefully I’ll get a number!

Sunday October 2nd: Maine Marathon. Yes, maybe another marathon. Not registered yet, still debating. As much as training can be hard, I actually really enjoyed this training cycle. And I felt so great during Boston, why not try another marathon? I know at least one person that is planning on running and possibly another? (She knows who she is!!) So we’ll see how the next few weeks go and then I will decide. If not, I think this may be a good half marathon to try too.

Sunday October 9th: BAA Half Marathon. Depending on my decision for Maine Marathon, I may also try to get into the BAA Half Marathon. Also, a great race and one I’ve always wanted to do!

Yoga. Other goals include incorporating more yoga. Ryan bought me some yoga sessions for Christmas. I’ve only had the chance to go once due to my busy schedule and the class schedule they have doesn’t always fit (which class I want to do and when). But my goal is to use those within the next few months. I took a Yin Yoga class, which was tough, but I did enjoy the quiet time. Ryan’s sister Alli has been getting into running and has been a huge fan of yoga for some time. She told me to check out this blog, Yoga to Run. They recently had a post about the benefits of Yin Yoga for runners. It motivated me to want to get back into it.

Weights. Every time I see Earl, he bugs me about getting my weights in. I was pretty bad about it considering he gave me a free refresher session in January. I used to lift weights all the time in high school and college, being the athlete that I was am. So my goal is to start incorporating weights twice a week and resistance once a week. My refresher session with Earl was a little intimidating but I know that it will really tone of my body and give me the strength I need for running.

Why Keep Going?

Ryan calls me a machine, more often than not. I think most people don’t really understand why I put myself through this. But why not? If I didn’t, I would probably have less energy, weight 20 pounds more and be stressed/unhappy. Working out gives me the ability to destress and workout my thoughts. There is always way too much on my mind. So during my runs or workouts I can either choose to ignore my thoughts and totally get into the zone, or parse things out in my mind. Working out also helps me to eat better. I know I need to fuel my body. Sure, I’ll treat myself to “bad” things every once in awhile, but really right now I’m looking to maintain and hopefully lose another 10 pounds. Weight loss isn’t really my focus, but an added bonus.

Race give me goals. If I didn’t have something to work towards, I probably wouldn’t run or workout. I need motivation and then self-motivation follows. Plus, my readers/friends motivate me when they tell me I inspire them. I can’t count on both hands anymore the number of people in the last 6 months that I’ve inspired to run a half marathon or just to run. It’s extremely humbling but also so fun because now I have more people to run races with!

But when is enough enough? Is there a time when I should take a break or a hiatus? I’m not sure I’m there yet. Maybe eventually I won’t plan so many races but for now it’s fun. It keeps me going, keeps my healthy and keeps me encouraging others.

Some call it crazy, I call it GRIT.

 

Giveaway Alert! Check out Blue Eyed Runner’s Giveaway, Running on Empty  by Marshall Ulrich

Song of the Post: "Country Girl (Shake it for Me)" - Luke Bryan (need some new song suggestions, leave one in a comment below!)

No comments:

Post a Comment