Thursday, January 6, 2011

Not a typical workout….

Today was a very exciting day! My new Garmin Forerunner 110 came in the mail! A friend of mine told me about Amazon's Textbook Buyback Program. There’s a couple different options and I chose to sell directly to their distribution warehouse and take the money upfront. I made enough to cover all but $4 for the Garmin!! For those of you not tuned into the running (or tri-athlete) world, this is a GPS-enabled sports watch. I can get my time, distance, pace and heart rate. I’m sure it can do many more but I have much to learn. If anyone wants to give me a lesson let me know! I was using the Nike+ chip with my iPod, but I didn’t really like it that much. Hopefully the Garmin will be able to provide some accurate data for some solid training this time around.

 

Garmin_110

 

Today’s Workout(s): Let’s just say my legs felt like bricks and jello today. I was happy to avoid the stairs but it was a struggle to walk 20 feet from my desk to the printer. For those of you from my college hockey team following the blog, I felt like I had been through “dryland” again! However, I powered through and made it to my Thursday spin class at the gym. It was my lucky day: hill climbs and sprints. Although, the class went by faster than usual and my legs felt a lot better. Upon walking back to the locker room, I bumped into Earl. I jokingly told him I hated him, we laughed about “losing the contents of my stomach” yesterday and he encouraged me to keep going. He was nice enough to give me a free training session and told me to setup another one in a month. He really cares about his clients.

 

I’ve been wanting to try out some of the running gear I got for Christmas. The foam roller from Ryan’s Dad has definitely come in handy the past couple of days, as well as the yoga mat from my sister for stretching. The foam roller really hurts but I can feel such a difference immediately in my muscles. For those of you that have no idea what I’m talking about, check out these foam roller exercises from Runners World. They really help!

 

However, I’ve been dying to try out the headlamp I got from Ryan’s mom!

Lauren_Headlamp1

 

So, I was continuing with my bad-ass/intense theme this week and also went out for a 5 miler run with my running buddy Kim from Team Challenge, the running group I ran for the past couple of years for Crohn’s and Colitis. My legs were tight at first but by the end we were running an 8-minute mile!! And for those of you that run with me, that’s FAST for me! I was so proud of myself. Off to stretch I go…

Distance: 5.14 miles

Overall Average Pace: 9:52 minutes/mile

I guarantee that a spin class and run will never happen in the same day (extremely rare occasion). But I didn’t do anything Tuesday and tomorrow I won’t get a workout in. Overall, I think I pushed myself out of my comfort zone this week and am pretty happy with that.

Song of the Post: "The Time (Dirty Bit)” – Black Eyed Peas (from spin class!)

2 comments:

  1. Very cool Lauren! Love the blog. I am so impressed with how hard you are training. You might actually inspire me to get moving! Cat

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in love with the foam roller. I use it at the gym all the time. Definitely a huge help after cardio.

    Love the blog, I'll be following. ;)

    ReplyDelete