Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Recovery

I’m sure you’re all going to call me crazy. But today I went to my lunch time spin class. Don’t worry, I took it easy. It was extremely hard for me to hold back and not want to turn up the resistance or sprint as hard as I could. But I knew I would be hurting even more tomorrow if I did that. So instead, I kept the resistance around 5-8 and the sprints a tad slower. The spin instructor must have noticed I wasn’t going that hard because she asked if I was okay!

The class in general was boring today. I was a little bummed out I needed to take it easy, although it was for the best. The spin instructor wasn’t feeling well, so she taught the class off the bike and used the same routine from Thursday’s class. I was disappointed but really like her a lot so I got over it. I used the repeat class as another positive to having to take it easy today.

 

How and Why I Began Running….

Many people have been asking me how I started running. Usually I give them the simple answer, that I began running with Team Challenge, to support Crohn’s and Collitis. But in reality, it’s a longer story and journey. Since spin class wasn’t anything to write home about today, I figured my blog post would be about how I got to where I am today…the LONGER version.

In college I played hockey for two years, volunteered as a coach my junior year and “hung up” the skates senior year. But for my first two years, I participated in the much dreaded “dry-land season.” Dry-land season begins 4 weeks before ice practice begins, typically around September 15th. Our team would meet on the 300’s field or at the gym at 6am every morning. Practice would begin with a team stretch, followed by a team run broken up into pace groups. When we returned, it was plyometrics and sprints to the max. I’m sure it could have been a lot more hard-core, but for us, it was hard. You knew you were on the hockey team when you were limping around campus, it was a struggle to get down the stairs or you were the first ones in line for breakfast at the cafeteria.

My first “dry-land” season was great. I worked hard, made friends with my teammates, and got into shape for hockey season. Little did I know the damage I had done. First practice and try-out of the season (from what I remember of the timing), I got on the ice. Something didn’t seem right. My right ankle was bothering me. I was in so much pain, I could barely skate. The trainers said it was a “skate bite,” which basically meant I tied my skates too tight. But the pain didn’t go away. Before I knew it, I was in the training room in the whirlpool, getting ice and stim almost every day. The treatments that lasted days, turned into weeks and months. I was a regular. I would pull my chart and set myself up. Before long, I was seeing an orthopedic and getting x-rays. I went to the hospital, got the shot of die, and the super cool x-rays came up. The black dots appeared all over my legs. I had the beginning of stress fractures and shin splints. My running days were over and possibly my hockey days. I was out for the rest of the season, because as many of you runners know, there is no cure but to rest.

My teammates were extremely supportive. I still went to every single practice to watch. I went to every single home game. I travelled to every single away game. I was determined to still feel a part of the team. I was so heart broken. Eventually Christmas break rolled around. I was starting to feel better and back on the ice I went in January 2004. However, I was so far behind everyone else. We were doing suicides on the ice and I was dogging it big time. But I kept going. Eventually I got some ice time and a goal during the season. At the end of the season, the team nominated me for the “Ice Knight Award” – for my dedication and commitment to the team no matter what. That meant a lot to me and still does to this day.

Fast forward to September 2004. Dry-land season 2. This did not go so well. I still couldn’t run. So while everyone else was running and doing plyometrics, I was on the stationary bike. Alone. Then eventually a couple more people were hurt and I got company. But I wanted nothing more than to be killing myself outside. My sophomore season didn’t go as well as I wanted to either. I just couldn’t overcome my injuries.

I eventually gave up hockey and became dedicated to calling 802-658-3333 at 2 o’clock in the morning (aka Dominos). The weight piled on and I felt disgusting. But it was college! Well, I wish I hadn’t. I wish I made time for the gym and for healthier food. So after college, I moved home. My mom being a gym rat, motivated me to get back into things. I signed up for the gym and started going with her in the morning or after work. I loved my kick-boxing cardio class. It was more boxing moves with the real gloves. But it helped get the weight off fast. Then I eventually started on the treadmill. Slowly but surely, I got back into running and with little pain.

Dad and my stepmom Beth live in Georgia. One day during either 2007 or 2008, I went down to visit. Beth and I went to the gym and I hopped on the bike. It was so cool because they had tv and internet! So I started surfing the net. I somehow stumbled upon triathlons. I told Beth I wanted to do one! I never thought I’d actually sign-up. But May 2008, I created a vision board, printed out the registration for Nantasket Beach Triathlon. My training wasn’t that great, but that summer I did it. I completed my first sprint triathlon in September 2008. I was hooked. I wanted to do another one but never got around to it. Maybe this year?

And then that January I got a flyer in the mail for Team Challenge. Race in California? Half Marathon? Run for Crohn’s and Collitis (which my friend from high school had been diagnosed with)? SIGN ME UP! I attended an info session at the Boston Public Library. I was brought to tears. Everything just sounded perfect. I had to raise nearly $5,000 but I knew I could do it. Before long I had run my longest mileage yet. Team Challenge setup long runs on Saturdays at different locations in Mass. I went to almost all of the practices. I was amazed  by how much I could actually do.

Race day finally came, July 2009. I travelled alone, but with my teammates and soon to be new friends, to Napa Valley, California. This weekend changed my life. I got to know some of the most amazing people. People running for family or friends with the disease, people RUNNING who HAVE the disease, and people running just because it’s a good cause!! AMAZING! Everything about this program was amazing. And before I knew it, I was snapping pictures left and right as I ran 13.1 miles. Everyone thought I was crazy for carrying a camera, but I didn’t care! I wanted to enjoy every minute of it and capture every minute of my experience (and let me tell you, people were jealous of my AWESOME pictures!).

I was hooked. When was the next race? Before long, I signed up for Portsmouth Seacoast half marathon, setting a PR by 33 seconds (and not much training between races, oops). My friend Craig was trying to convince me to run a marathon. I wasn’t convinced. Until, the CCFA sent out an email in December 2009, stating they had bibs for the Boston Marathon for those who wanted to apply and fundraise. I thought about it, asked others for advice, and sent it my app. I was chosen! I was going to be training for my first marathon. Luckily I had some wicked cool new running buddies to help me along the way.

Morale of the story? If you asked me 7 years ago if I would run the Boston Marathon in 2010 and 2011, I would have thought you were nuts! I see it as a miracle that I can even run after the injuries I went through. But there’s just always been something in me to keep going. Call it motivation. Call is determination. Call is CrAzY. But I have fun and learn a lot about myself along the way.

I know I'm not fast, I know I'm not a great runner, but I am a runner!

No comments:

Post a Comment