Saturday, January 22, 2011

Training Week Recap

This week was a tough week for training with busy annual meetings at work and more snow. But I did the best I could to prepare for the big, hilly and COLD race tomorrow.

I stuck with my Monday and Thursday spin classes during lunch. The spin instructor Jen is great. She’s very enthusiastic and because she’s a yoga teacher she brings some of those elements to spin class, while still keeping it intense. Monday’s lunch class was filled with women and one lucky guy. Usually the class isn’t full, but since Monday was a holiday for many, more arrived. The class was pretty intense, with a warm-up, up-downs, sprints and hills. The circuits were fast and with short recoveries in between. I can’t say enough about spin class. I really can feel a difference in my legs this time around. They feel more loose, stronger and spin definitely helps keep my cardio level up. Not to mention, a nice break in the middle of the day during work. Thursday’s spin class had far less people. I had a hard time getting into it. I think I was tired but the mental game just wasn’t there. But the last 15 minutes, something kicked in. Whether it was my mental game or my competitive edge. I didn’t want the one dude in the class next to me to sprint faster than me or the girl in front of me to do her single jumps faster. So I brought my A-game and was still sweating after my shower and return to work.

There wasn’t much running this week, but I tend to not run much the week before a race. I like to save my legs. I did a treadmill (TM) workout on Wednesday that included speed-work. I had a 5 minute warm-up, followed by 20 minutes of intervals, starting at 6.0, increasing by .1 each minute, and then back down again. I really don’t like the TM and this is the only way to get through a TM workout when it’s dark, cold and snowy outside.

Friday – Fail. We got snow again in Boston which made for a messy morning. I ended up working late and rather than fitting in a short, meaningless workout before dinner with Ryan and friends, I decided to skip.

Today I plan to eat a lot, carb it up for tomorrow’s race. I also plan to spend a lot of time with my foam roller today (sorry Ryan)!

 

Now that I have a few posts, please let me know what else you’d like to see! Hope to have some pictures up after tomorrow’s race!

 

Song of the Post: "Cruel to be Kind" - Letters to Cleo (Random, I know…but it was a song from spin class and ironically from one of my favorite all time movies!)

No comments:

Post a Comment