“Moderately Challenging” is the theme of the Derry 16 miler. And the race is pretty much just like the picture.
I was pretty nervous going into this race because I didn’t know what to expect. Last year, I wasn’t ready and far enough into my training to run this one. However, I’m glad I did. As tough as it was, I was really able to push myself today and finish before my goal time. A bunch of Team Challenge Alumni ran the race. It was nice being able to hang out with everyone before the race. One of our friend’s aunt and uncle also graciously offered up their place close to the race. A few of the girls stayed there, while Ryan and I met them this morning for bagels and bananas! We were all mentally preparing for what we were about to face.
We got to the gym at the school where the race started and ended, and the line for the numbers was outrageous. But before long, we each had our numbers. My number today was #623. Decent number. We put on our extra layers, met up with the guys and stretched a little. Before we knew it, we were walking to the start in about 10 degree weather!! I’m the slowest of the bunch, so at the start I turned on my ipod and ready to rock-out for 3 hours. Before Chris headed up to the front he said to me, “just enjoy it.” That definitely calmed me down. The gun went off, and the runners were off, dodging a few pot-holes in the beginning.
Before long we were climbing the first hill at about mile 4. This wasn’t so bad I thought to myself. I cruised up the first hill, taking fast, short steps, looking right ahead of me and not at the top. I always tried to find someone near me to pace myself going up the hill. For the most part, this worked for me. As much as the up-hills were hard, there were also some HARD down-hills. Your hamstrings and knees really have to work together so you don’t go flying down the hills too quickly. But these also helped me to pick up speed. I had a GU after this hill (lemon-lime, not bad!).
At mile 5, Ryan was standing with our friend Jani and Catie’s aunt and uncle to cheer us on. It was so great to have people outside cheering for us all as we ran by, especially on one of the coldest days yet! So many thanks and kudos to them. Extremely grateful for how supportive Ryan is and that was evident once again today!
After mile 5 we had some relief before hitting mile 9, the next big hill after the water stop. This one wasn’t too bad but then mile 10 hit. And the hill was enormous, just a winding up-hill road that latest about 2 miles! It was pretty ridiculous. I had to walk this one a bit, but I took long strides to get up to the top faster. There was absolutely nobody around. The fast people were most likely done and there was a pack of people behind me. I was so glad when this hill ended. It took awhile for my legs to come back but around mile 13, where I saw Ryan, Jani and crew, I powered through and took a right up yet another hill, crossing the 13.1 check-point. I PR’d my half marathon time, which only gives me confidence going into the Hyannis Half Marathon in February (where these ridiculous hills will not be present!!).
At 13.5 miles, I looked at my Garmin. “Ok, only 2.5 miles left. You can do this. Just finish.” I was SO ready to be done and SO wanted to finish in under 3 hours. I pushed myself SO hard these last couple of miles. Finally passed mile 15, then coming back around to the start around 15.5, and I see Ryan and Jani at the top of the street waiting for me. OMG, I am almost there! It was such a good feeling to see these two. They ran the last stretch with me and watched me from behind as I crossed the finish line in 2:53! I sprinted the last 500 feet or so – and what a feeling it is to cross the finish line.
It was extremely hard to breathe, going from the frigid cold air to the warm, musty air inside the school. I had a coughing fit for almost 20 minutes. I was so sore and tight. We got right into the food line, but nothing seemed appetizing. I gave my pizza to Ryan, chugged the water and forced down a cup of chicken noodle soup and hot chocolate to warm up. We headed back to Catie’s aunt and uncle’s house to shower and change. It was nice to be able to “celebrate” for a bit with the girls. Everyone did such a great job! It’s so nice to have a group of friends to look forward to running and racing with.
Official Race Times:
5 Mile Mark – 52:34 / 10:31 pace
10 Mile Mark – 1:46:17 / 10:38 pace
13.1 Mile Mark – 2:22:53 / 10:55 pace
Final – 2:53:31 / 10:51 pace
(ANYONE KNOW A GOOD WAY TO PASTE IN THE GARMIN DETAILS?)
Song of the Post: "Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough" - Michael Jackson (from my race mix – and sort of the theme of my race, to keep going)
No comments:
Post a Comment