Sunday, January 16, 2011

Tour de Boston

Got to love being a winter runner. Snow, ice, puddles, chapped lips, wind, etc. But today was a perfect day for winter running! The sun was out and it was gorgeous!

As much as I love running with my friends, it’s always nice to get in a long run alone (although a dog would be a nice companion too). Today I mapped out a 12 miler through some Boston neighborhoods. It’s amazing how close things really are! I started out from my apartment, through the South End, Bay Village, Back Bay, Beacon Hill (incorporating in a hill!), West End, North End, Waterfront/Seaport, and back into South Boston.

I ran out of water around mile 7 which stunk! It was extremely windy along the water (see picture insert below) and it slowed me down a lot. I was feeling great but always seem to hit a wall around mile 10. The last couple miles were hard. Perhaps it was the snow and ice on the sidewalks, dodging walkers, chapped lips, ran out of water and the WIND! The wind definitely dragged me down going around the Sugarbowl at Castle Island. Overall, I am extremely happy about my pace and getting the long run in. I feel more confident going into the hilly Derry 16 Miler next weekend and being able to PR the Hyannis Half Marathon in February.

The legs were definitely tight when I got home. I plan to stretch, foam roll and ice frequently during the game! It’s amazing how much of a difference the foam rolling makes! I’m also looking forward to spin during lunch tomorrow to loosen up the legs!

 

Running_Castle Island

I came home to chili and the crockpot and made my first loaf of cornbread! Go Pats!

Today’s Workout: 12.01 miles, average pace 10:31 mi/hr

 

Song of the Post: "World's Greatest" - R. Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment