Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Catching up!

It’s been a few days since I last posted. Life got the best of me and I got busy. But definitely still focused on training!

Thursday 2/3: Thursday I spoke at a Team Challenge meeting to recruit new participants for the upcoming Virginia and Kona races. I went to the meeting at the Boston Public Library, where I signed up February 2009. The video they show, although it needs to be updated, always brings tears to my eyes. I wish I was participating in this season but definitely need a break. I’m still running for a really great organization, Cops for Kids with Cancer. If you’re looking for a great training and fundraising program, I definitely recommend Team Challenge. I’ve met a lot of great people and a lot have become my good friends.

Weekend Long Run/Monday 2/7: I didn’t get my long run in Saturday or Sunday for one reason or another. So I told myself I HAD to do it Monday night after work. I did not want to skip a work out. The thought of running 11 miles on the treadmill was awful, but I did it. Every 30 minutes I stretched. I brought food, water and a Red Bull (need the extra kick, although I can still taste it today). I started around 4:30 before the after work rush. It was funny to see the people that came and went. And the looks I got. I’m surprised I didn’t get kicked off either during the “peak” hours. But I just stuck to my place in the corner. I channel surfed, Oprah, Beanpot Tournament, America’s Next Top Model, Food Channel, NEWS!... yeah so it actually went by fast. And I was getting some awesome BBM motivation from Ryan (also has a blog!) and my friend Melissa (who is also running the Hyannis Half with me – we’re the same pace and hoping to push each other to PR!).

I’m sure many of you are wondering why I’m only running 11 miles and not more at this point. But basically my plan was to train up for the Boston 16 Miler in Derry, then taper and build up to the Hyannis Half Marathon. March will consist of Stu’s 30K, a dry run of the Boston Marathon course (Framingham to the finish line – love doing this!), possibly Eastern States 20 Miler as well. Last year I felt that I didn’t train enough and put in the wrong mileage. I compared my plans from last year to Hal Higdon’s plan plus some Runner’s World articles – and less is more. I’m really focusing on the resistance training, foam rolling, cross training and yoga. I think I’ll do better with a well-rounded training plan this time around.

Monday I also did my typical lunch time spin class. YES, I KNOW! Intense day of cardio. But I love spinning so much and really enjoy taking the break from work.

*What are you currently training for? What’s been your hardest mental workout to date? Would love to hear from those who are reading!*

Tuesday 2/8: Tonight I went to my very first yoga class at BSC-Wellington with my friend Meg from Saint Mike’s. This BSC is so much better than mine! BIGGER and more spread out. The people also seem more friendly – they talk to each other before, during and after class. I don’t feel that at my gym. Anyway – yoga went well.  It was a Vinyasa Yoga class. I enjoyed the first third and last third of the class. But the middle we did a lot of downward dog and variations of it – that was hard for me. But I know that the next time will be that much easier. I really liked the instructor. She knew I was Meg’s friend and came to check on me a few times. My knee actually popped REALLY LOUD during one of the table positions. It didn’t really hurt but it was funny. I tried so hard to not laugh. I’m planning on going to Back Bay Yoga on Friday to try Yin Yoga. I’d ideally like to do yoga once a week, on Friday’s before long runs.

 

*I’m in need of some new songs for my workout mix. Please leave suggestions!*

 

Song of the Post: "One Step at a Time" - Jordin Sparks

1 comment:

  1. I like anything by the Dropkicks (esp. "For Boston"...good for sprinting). Heart of a champion by Nelly and The Distance by Cake are some good ones too. Tambourine by Eve, Ruby Soho by Rancid and the Olympic Spirit and Olympic Fanfare and Theme are some other songs I like to listen to on the trainer. Let me know what ones you like. I could use some new ones!

    ReplyDelete