Yesterday: 45 Minute Lunch Spin
Today: 1:15 Yin Yoga
Tomorrow: 12 mile run in Boston (post to follow)
Today I went to my second yoga class, but first at Back Bay Yoga Studio. Ryan gave me a gift certificate for Christmas and my sister got me a yoga mat. I had been wanting to take yoga classes for awhile now. I checked out Back Bay Yoga last year with a co-worker but never ended up signing up. So the gift certificate and yoga mat were what I needed for the push.
I entered the building, took the elevator up with two other women, took my shoes off upon entering the studio and walked over to the desk to sign-in. The women working the desk weren't that friendly and seemed upset I didn't want to partake in the $25 for 2 weeks of unlimited classes (which, is a great deal - I just don't think it would be worth my money because I don't plan on going that much). Anyway - ended up doing the 10 classes for $100. First class: Yin Yoga.
I turn the corner - walk into the locker room, sort of run down compared to BSC, but I liked the rocks in the sink in the bathroom. The shiny wood floors were nice too. I got changed and settled into my mat in the class. The lights were dim and I could smell the clean candles burning - just like the ones Zola Goods sells (probably why I recognized them!) Everyone in the class seemed like total Yogi's - I felt really out of place. It was more "crunchy" than I thought it would be.
The teacher came around and handed out straps for stretching and suggested a few blocks. I had never used them before but they were definitely helpful during some stretches.
Likes: Teacher's relaxing voices and you could sense her true passion for this class (as stated in her bio - see Emily); low lighting; long/deep stretches (which helped to relax my mind at times), atmosphere of the room. Enjoyed my mat and the blocks were very helpful to for my hands/arms to lean on.
Dislikes: Room was extra stuffy, which made it hard to focus on breathing; the OM at the end brought back weird flashbacks of my Green Business class when my professor made us do this and breathing exercises (weird to do in class); the teacher came over to me and I was a bit embarrassed since I felt wicked awkward to begin with (and I was adjusting to add in the block she suggested - but realize she had good intentions - she was super sweet.
After the class I wasn't sure how I felt. I had a hard time letting go of my thoughts from a stressful day/week. A lot of my stress ends up in my shoulders and back. I'm really hoping that yoga will provide me more patience, better outlet to release my thoughts/stress and flexibility. I am definitely focused on the mental aspect though. My back is a little sore. I’m hoping it doesn’t effect my run in the morning.
Overall - I enjoyed my yoga experience and look forward to learning more. And finding the opportunity to just let go…
*What have your experiences been like with yoga? Do you find it hard to let go of your thoughts and relax your mind? What relaxes you?*
Song of the Post: "You Gotta Be" – Des'ree (oldie but a goodie)
I want to incorporate yoga into my routine too..I've been to a few classes at BSC but I find them intimidating for a beginner. I ended up buying a Groupon for a studio in the South End that has "basics" classes so hopefully they will be more beginner friendly! Thanks for your likes/dislikes-very helpful!
ReplyDelete