Today I ran the Hyannis Half Marathon. Some ran the 10K, some ran the half and the brave ran the marathon. It was a fun race to be excited for because so many people I knew were running! Ryan's sister, my friend Melissa from college,(both who raced and celebrated a birthday!) my dad’s friend and a ton of people from my Team Challenge running group! It was fun to try to find people before the race and then again after. It was fun to get hugs when I finished and to hear people cheering as I sprinted to the finish line (so focused, faces were either blurry on not within my vision!).
At the beginning of the race, it was so hard to find people. We got there late due to the traffic and me not thinking of the way we went to get to the start. (NOT HAPPY!) It was also snowing, which made for some morning butterflies.
I finally hop out of the car at 9:40 am, and sprint over to the start. I knew Melissa was waiting in the lines for the porta-potties, but I stupidly left my phone in the car. But alas, I found her. I saw a few of the Team Challenge girls and walked over to the start with them. We piled into the 11 min/mile section. And we were off… about 3-5 minutes behind gun time. The weather did not change much the entire time, wet snow, but my wind breaker helped to keep the heat in and keep me warm.
The marathoners were taking the first part of the race slow, so we followed suit. Melissa and I ran with my friend Meredith, who was doing the 10-K. We stuck with her for a few miles but then sped up the pace and kept cruising. Since I got to the start later than I wanted to, I didn’t have a chance to go to the bathroom! So by mile 6, my bladder was screaming at me! After Melissa and I cheers’ed with a GU I pulled off and told her I’d catch up with her. People do not know how to PEE AND GO! I was definitely doing the dance while waiting in line. Finally, my turn, and I show these people how it’s done.
Off I went… at the cost of one of my water bottles falling out of my fuel belt. Oh well, I wanted to catch up to Melissa and that I did. You can see from the splits below that I was on FIRE miles 7 and 8, especially looking at the best pace column. I finally caught up to her, she was looking great! I ran with her for a bit but my stride got the best of me. Today, I was just in a *groove*. I GU’d again around mile 10.5. The race seemed to go by so fast and before I knew it, I was coming into the finish line, giving it EVERYTHING I had! And the confidence going into Boston (49 days to go!)
Official Net-time: 2:15 something
Garmin: 2:10 something (stopped and restarted after potty break)
BLING!
and…
a PR! by a lot…
November 2009: Portsmouth Seacoast Half: 2:23:11 – was the time to beat
Adam & I having some minestrone soup!….. Kim after she finished the marathon!
MORE PHOTOS TO COME!!!!!
Post Race and Drive refuel: Annie’s and BIBA!
Song of the Post: "Eye of the Tiger" - Survivor
Awesome job Lauren!!! A sign of good things for you to come for your Boston time this year!
ReplyDeleteCongrats on your PR! What an amazing race...despite the weather!
ReplyDelete