Monday, February 28, 2011

Foam Rolling and Spinning

“Cause baby you're a firework

Come on, show 'em what you're worth

Make 'em go "Oh, oh, oh" As you shoot across the sky-y-y”

 

Day After Race: I went to my usual Monday lunch spin class. I was hurting at first, but the legs quickly loosened up. I was feeling frustrated at this point in the day but this class allowed me to just spin it out and leave it there. This was MY time. This class has really helped me to visualize my training (and visualize running Boston). I love my instructor and want to let her know next class how much it has really helped my training (mentally and physically). She always seems to pick the right songs (for me at least). Although she does recycle songs (tends to use the same playlist two classes in a row) the words are exactly what I’m looking for. Today, when Katy Perry’s Firework came on (hill sprints), it really hit me. This is exactly how I felt during yesterday’s race. Something, like a match lit under my @$$ or a firework as the song says, and I just cruised the second half of the race. Looking back at my splits again, I seriously don’t know where that came from. Have I not been pushing myself hard enough before? Or was my body just finally ready? Not quite sure. But I’m really proud of myself and the pace I was able to sustain.

Two things that I talk a lot about are foam rolling and spinning. And I really can’t give enough credit to these two activities. I really  think these have helped me tremendously during this training cycle. I figured I would dedicate a post to both, as that is what my post-half marathon day consisted of.

*Foam Rolling*

A few people have asked me how to do it, what works best for me, etc.

I can’t remember specifically where I picked up the idea that foam rolling was something I should do. Either from Runner's World or a running friend (I think maybe even “Coach” Chris). But I really got into it last summer when I treated myself to 4 personal training sessions with Earl Strong at BSC. I started every training session foam rolling. Earl suggested I do my hips, quads, hamstrings, glutes, lats and IT band. I added in the calves and Achilles myself. I wanted to buy one so I wouldn’t have to go to the gym just to use one. So I added it to my Christmas wish list and Santa brought me one! Along with a yoga mat (which I use as padding on my hardwood floor, but also for yoga class too ;)

Anyway – if it’s hurts, it’s working! Also, try a tennis ball, lacrosse ball or golf ball for your feet and hip flexors. It really targets those areas if they are painful.

Foam Roll 1

Here is a helpful link for foam rolling exercises from Runner’s World.

*Spinning*

I started spinning after college when I was living at home. I used to go with my mom in the mornings a few times but after I moved to my own place I didn’t have a gym that had classes until August. I started spinning again in November and my mom bought me some cycling shoes for Christmas! I totally recommend buying these if you’re going to commit to spin class. It gives it a smoother ride and they click into the pedals! It took me a few times to get used to clicking in and unclicking from the pedals, but they work wonders! If your glutes get sore from riding, you can also buy padded bike shorts. I adjusted quickly and decided to save the $50, since you’re rarely on the saddle anyway.

I always bring a towel and water bottle to class, typically running out of water too. This is definitely a sweaty class!

SpinShoes

Craig always posts his spinning playlists, which are great adds for workout playlists as well! Hopefully one of these days I will get to his class. And Craig’s girlfriend Kate wrote a great spinning post for beginners.

Today’s Workout: 45 Minute Lunch Spin class and foam rolling in the AM&PM

Song of the Post: "Firework" - Katy Perry

2 comments:

  1. woops, forgot to post today's playlist...will do it later, promise!!

    Definitely agree on cycling shoes - it's like a different class if you have them vs. using sneakers. It's not the same at all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have yet to foam roll but Craig promises that he'll teach me..I'm scared!

    Absolutely love Spinning (usually do it once a week) but still haven't bought the shoes-adding to my list :-)

    ReplyDelete