My first memory of the finish line is from April 1996 [I think this is accurate, Beth can confirm since it was the first time I met her before she started dating my Dad ;)]. I was almost 11 years old and attended “bring your children to work day” with my Dad. At the time, he worked on Boylston Street, right across from the finish line. I slept over his apartment the night before and we took the T into town. When we got off the T, we walked across the finish line. My Dad explained it was the finish line for THE Boston Marathon, that happened the day before. The finish line is painted on the street and remains there every day of the year. The finish line is repainted a few days before the marathon and touch ups are performed up until hours before the gun goes off. I was amazed by the thought of running 26.2 miles.
My next memory of the marathon was from high school. Again, I went to the finish line with my Dad to see his friend Billy cross. I remember watching as everyone crossed the finish line, their children jumped the barricades to cross with them, some crying, some just with a huge smile on their face that they finish, and some in disbelief! That year my Dad’s friend Billy ran the marathon, later to find out that he broke his knee! A few surgeries later, he is back for more in 2010.
The next time I went to the Boston Marathon was in 2008 and 2009 to see my friend Craig cross the finish line. Craig and I had known each other in college but reconnected a couple years later. I was doing my first spring triathlon and Craig was a marathon maniac already. He had given me a lot of training advice last year when I trained for my first marathon and first Boston. Sadly, he will not be training but maybe cheering me on instead??
In 2008, before I went into the marathon to see Craig cross the finish line, I went to the gym that morning to run on the treadmill. Surprisingly, the TVs in the cardio room were set to some silly morning show. I walked to the desk and asked them to turn on the marathon. Of course they agreed. I was able to watch the pre-show but also see most of the elite runners race. It’s amazing to see how fast these athletes are and how inspiring it is. I will never be that fast and most likely never get a Boston qualifying race time (BQ as the runners say, but you never know…never underestimate the power of a dream, but it would take a lot of work and dedication)…. but I knew I was destined to run Boston.
Last year, I was lucky to apply and be accepted to run for the Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of America and this year I will be running for Cops for Kids with Cancer. Both years I had successful fundraising and outpour of support from friends, family and even people I don’t know. The whole charity and Boston Marathon combo is a touchy subject with elite athletes. This past year many runners qualified but there was a record sell out in the number of bibs for those who actually did qualify. There was a lot of talk about it through the runner’s networks, as well as on Facebook on the BAA’s page. Many runners disappointed. Many runners not understanding why so many people who run for charity are able to get bibs. I can understand why these people are upset. They worked really hard. But at the same time, there are so many runners doing great things, raising money for so many people and organizations that need it. Training for a marathon and fundraising thousands isn’t easy. I think charity runners don’t get enough credit.
So to me – the finish line is very elite. So many words come to mind when I think about Boston: determination, hard work, will power, possibilities, dreams, etc. To me, crossing the finish line isn’t JUST about a goal time (I do have one) – it’s more. It’s about pushing my comfort zone. Proving to others that I can do it too. It’s about partaking in the greatest pastime MY city has to offer (sorry, Red Sox, you come second to the marathon). It’s about crossing that fundraising finish line too – knowing that my running is also helping others. It helped those with Crohn’s or Colitis. It’s helping those families and children with Cancer. And this year, I will be wearing my Donate Life New England singlet in honor of Donate Life month (April) and for my boyfriend Ryan, as he awaits his final months before his kidney transplant.
Right onto Hereford, left onto Boylston… here I come...
the final push before crossing, Boston Marathon 2010
crossing THE finish line, Boston Marathon 2010
Giveaway! Don’t forget to check out my giveaway! Follow the guide on the giveaway page! Deadline is Friday!
http://never-underestimate-power-of-a-dream.blogspot.com/2011/04/true-power-give-away-friday.html
Can’t get enough of Boston like me? Check out these links:
http://www.dailymile.com/blog/events/its-boston-week
http://www.dailymile.com/blog/events/what-to-expect-when-youre-expecting-to-run-the-boston-marathon
http://www.boston.com/sports/marathon/articles/2011/04/12/home_is_where_the_start_is/
http://www.boston.com/sports/marathon/
Song of the Post: "Viva la Vida" - Coldplay
No comments:
Post a Comment