"The vision of a champion is someone bent over,
drenched in sweat at the point of exhaustion,
when nobody else is watching." - Unknown
In high school, our hockey team used to write their favorite quote on a piece of paper and we would hang them up in the locker room before the game. Most were sports related but also "life" quotes. Whatever you thought might motivate someone else in the room. I used to collect quotes. They always used to be inspiring, motivating, etc. The above quote is my favorite sports quote.
Many of us remember the memorable 1999 World Cup Women's Soccer Championship. Well that year, I was obsessed with soccer. I eat, breathed and lived soccer. My step-mom took me to my first games at Gilette Stadium. I bought "Golden Goals" soccer cereal. I collected all the posters, news articles I could find. I joined so many chat discussions on AOL about soccer. However, I was devasted when I was cut from the soccer team. Soccer was my life! I was determined to hate soccer after that. But after an exhausting sob session the night I was cut, I didn't give up. Soccer was just meant to take a different role in my life. Instead, I became the soccer manager my junior and senior year of high school. I had a blast! I was already friends with so many of the girls on the team. But they looked to me for encouragement. I was their personal cheerleader. And it wasn't until "senior day" (when all the underclassmen put together letters and a scrapbook for seniors) that I really knew how much soccer meant to me.
Running is sort of the same for me. I know I'll never be the best. But I'm a champion in the heart of my true friends and family. I'm thankful for those that are now MY personal cheerleader, in whichever way they may be. And I cannot wait to find them all spreadout during 26.2 miles in less than 14 days.
[Taken from the baa.org website]
I don't really have much of an update this week. Boston is less than 14 days away now. It became a little more real when I busted out the April calendar today to pin on my bulletin board at work. There's really only two weeks between now and the marathon weekend. I'm getting anxious and nervous, but mostly just *excitement*! My goals between now and then:
- 8-9 mile run tomorrow from Newton-Wellsley hospital to the finish. I want one more time to kick Heartbreak Hill's humps. [Done, 10:15 avg pace, felt great]
- Stretching and foam rolling like it's my job, as well as icing, possibly even my first ice bath (I'm scared!)
- Focus on eating healthy foods, definitely the carbs as it gets closer, but foods that are filling.
- Mental prep: watch Spirit of the Marathon, read running articles, build a running mix (haven't decided if I'm going sans-ipod yet), and hope that I receive lots of encouragement from family and friends because it's still needed!
- This weekend I am running the Vermont "No hills, no frills" 13.1 Unplugged. Yes, I realize this is very close to the marathon weekend. But my friend Holly is running her first half marathon and it's her bachelorette party. I plan to run an easy, slow pace with Holly. I'm there for moral support and this will just be a "light" run. Just for fun...
The Ultimate Boston Marathon Overview Part 3: A Racing Strategy:http://www.marathonnation.us/race-execution/the-ultimate-boston-marathon-overview-part-3-a-racing-strategy/
I really enjoyed the article. I think it could totally work, but that means that everything goes swimmingly that day. Weather, outside factors, etc. I wish I had read this a few weeks ago because I would have tried it on my runs. Regardless, a pretty interesting article.
If you want to follow me for the marathon, my bib# is 26403 and you can visit the BAA's website for directions on how to follow via text or email. My splits will also be available via the web!
I'm thinking about writing a running "mantra" on my palm for the marathon. A few people have suggested this to e. I think it will help, especially to get through heartbreak hill. I'm thinking of just writing "The vision of a champion..."
*What does being a champion mean to you?*
To me, just crossing the finish line, every person who crosses THEIR finish line, is a champion. Whatever that finish line(s) may be.
Also, I have my first giveaway coming up soon! Just waiting for final details and confirmation from the vendor! Get excited!
Also, thinking about pulling a Brandi Chastain at the finish line this year? Thoughts? ;)
Song of the Post: "Dog Days are Over" - Florence and The Machine
No comments:
Post a Comment