Saturday, April 16, 2011

36 hours to go…

In 36 hours I will step off the Cops for Kids with Cancer bus in Hopkinton. In just over 36 hours I will be lining up in my corral to run the Boston Marathon. In 36 hours I will be surrounded by thousands of runners with the same mission. And thousands of spectators there to support the runners, even if they don’t know you, they cheer for you. In 36 hours I will have the most intense butterflies before even crossing the start line.

niketown cities

Boston, you are here.

My friend Katie came over and we had a carbo-loading dinner. We had pasta and left over sauce from my cook fest last weekend. Katie brought bread and lemon for our water. We talked, I answered questions for the first timer and we watched Spirit of the Marathon. Katie sewed on letters of her name on her marathon day tank and we just chilled.

This morning I had an opportunity of a lifetime. Niketown in Boston hosted a meet and greet with Kara Goucher. If you aren’t obsessed with running or kept up with some of the elite US contenders for this year’s Boston Marathon you may never have heard of Kara. In short, Kara debuted in her first Boston Marathon in 2009, coming in third place by a mere 9 seconds. There was a significant amount of pressure on her, and male counter part Ryan Hall, to bring back the #1 to the US. Again, the pressure is on for these two. And Kara also had her first baby last year and is expected to make an amazing comeback. I mean, pick-up a copy of Competitor magazine or Runner’s World and she’s got her 6 pack abs back.

This morning the sun was beating down on my face at 6:30am (love to wake up to this but also probably could have kept sleeping). Instead, I got up, put on my 2010 Boston Marathon jacket and placed my copy of Runner’s World in my bag. I hopped on the bus and headed downtown. I was in line at Niketown with about 10 teenage boys and 2 other girls who looked like runners. I got into a conversation with the girls and apparently Nike was also releasing a new Nike Air Jordan today. Hence, the teenage boys! They finally let us into the store at 8:20am and we filed in to sit on the metal bleacher benches. They had posters and a cowbell waiting for us!

NiketownPosters

Next, Kara was introduced and the Q&A session began. A few things that I took away from this. Kara had tried out for her middle school volleyball team and was cut. She took up running instead. (Certain things are meant to be?) Kara felt the enormous pressure from her first Boston in 2009 and although the pressure is on this time she isn’t letting it get to her. (Anything is possible in Boston!) Kara also had a baby last year and has an amazing body back. (Whatever you put into your training you’ll get out.) Kara’s talk was definitely inspiring. I think I teared up at one point (Shocking!)

KaraGoucher2KaraGoucher3KaraGoucher4

 

Kara also spoke of her power word. Each race Kara has a power word. This race her power word is “free.” She is freeing herself from the expectations and just going to run her race. I think this word is perfect for her given all the hype.

KaraGoucher1

After the Q&A session Kara was nice enough to take the time to meet her fans and sign some autographs. Nike didn’t really organize this part very well and the crowd of course swarmed over. But I knew it would be worth it to be patient and finally get to meet her. I was like a 10 year old meeting their favorite celebrity/athlete. I was so excited, huge smile and shaking when I went up to her. So nervous, I felt bad asking for a photograph and she had to figure out what my name was by reading it on the mailing label of my copy of Runner’s World. Kara wrote “Lauren, Believe” and signed her name.

 

KaraGoucher_RW_Auto

 

Kara was funny, down to earth and modest. She has the greatest job in the world – running for a profession. She’s a hard worker and an inspiration!! After the Q&A session I had some time to kill. I walked around the store and they had a photo booth! They print out the pictures for you and also post it on their facebook page. It was a lot of fun! I look really goofy but had a good time!

image

 

After Niketown I met up with Kim and Katie. We killed time waiting for Ryan to get into town, Catie to wake up and head over with Nate (her bf). Once we were all in the city, we headed over to the Hynes Convention Center to the Expo! It’s just as overwhelming as I remembered it from last year! People and swag bags everywhere!

boston with gritBoston with Swaggerboston with love

Expo_EscalatorBib_Number_LaurenBib_Numbers

(1) Katie, Kim and I on the escalator to get our bib #s (2) me picking up my bib # (3) Kim, me, Katie and Catie posing with our bib #s

I didn’t have any time to head into the expo so tomorrow I’m going back for more!

Power Word for Monday:  Grit (check out my post about grit)

Song of the Post: rather than a song for this post, I’ll leave you with  Kara Goucher's BAA press conference

No comments:

Post a Comment