Picture I posted early morning for those watching to know what I was wearing.
::WARNING, LONG POST – BROKEN UP BY MILEAGE FOR EASE OF READING::
Alarm rang at 5:00am. I hit snooze and rolled out of bed around 5:15am. New set of contacts, brushed teeth and hit the toilet. I put on my gear I laid out the night before while Ryan put together 3 mini cinnamon raisin bagels for me. Ryan warmed up the car as I put the last minute items I needed in my bad and we were off.
Cops for Kids with Cancer provided luxury buses for us from the Boston Athletic Club to the start in Hopkinton. We also had a police escort! There were a total of 14 buses, also carrying Mass State police marathon team, Boston Police team and any military/veterans that were also running. My friends and I all sat together on the bus so we could exchange tips, food and stories.
Here’s a picture of a few of us before the bus left: Catie, Mark, Marisa, Kim, myself and George (my 2nd cousin)
Before the start: I was actually surprisingly calm before the race. There were a few moments when I just needed to be quiet, read a magazine or listen to music to get in the zone. My phone was still blowing up with texts, facebook messages, tweets and emails wishing me good luck! I honestly felt so much love over the past few days that it helped so much during the race. The buses were parked in the parking lot on the left side of Main Street near the Start. We were hooked up big time. Did not have to deal with Athlete’s Village, being outside during the chilly morning or the porta-potties. We started to get ourselves ready: putting on our bibs, writing our names on our arms and stretching. I also wrote my power word, GRIT, on my left hand. At 10:20, wave 2 was off! I went outside to test the weather and it was perfect. I didn’t bring any extra layers and I’m glad I didn’t because I really didn’t need them. It was a tad chilly at the start but the sun felt SO good!
“5 minutes to start!” I was getting so pumped! I gathered the troops and we headed to the start. But Katie was left behind finishing her last bathroom attempt. I tried to find her when she walked down to the corral, but alas, we were all separated. But it worked out for the best. We knew at one point it would happen.
As I was waiting for the start, I went to boot up my Garmin in order for it to read the satellites. LOW BATTERY. You’ve got to be kidddding me! What was I going to do? I had my pace strategy in my wrist band on my right arm and a dead Garmin on my left. It was still working but a low battery.
First 6 miles: Pass the start and it’s still working. My first few miles were ahead of pace but I felt okay. I was nervous and had no idea when the Garmin was going to completely die. The first few miles were exciting, narrow and hard to hold back but I made sure I did. I tried to match my pace to my plan as best I could. It was fun reading everyone’s jerseys. Seeing the goofy costumes. And of course, the famous biker bar in Ashland. Before I knew it, we were in Framingham. And I was already dying from the heat. I was so glad I wore sleeveless. My fuel belt felt like it was pressing hard against the bladder. I pulled over around mile 6, just after the 10K and where I stopped last year for a quick pit stop. And then it died. My Garmin was gone for the next 20 miles. Ok, so I just kept positive thoughts, although it was a huge downer. My first cheer squad was in Framingham: Ryan, Shana, Andy and Jeff. I ran over, gave them a high five, dropped an F bomb about my Garmin and handed it to him, as well as my gloves. And I was off again. Shortly after the train station I saw my friend Caitlin from college, who is currently living in Mexico but was home to see her sister run!
Picture was taken by Ryan’s aunt Kathy in Wellesley, but this is basically what the running crowd looked like for most of the course, esp. the first 6-7 miles before the roads widen.
Miles 7-10: The next stretch is pretty much flat road and the course is more than familiar, as two of my 20 milers began in Framingham. I was getting into the groove, but didn’t feel awesome. I GU’d around mile 6 as well and it went down pretty easy. The next group I saw was at Mile 8, the Donate Life Team. I gave them a smile and wave for the camera and “Good Job” from them. And I was off again. I saw two runners next to me that looked to have Garmin on (hard to tell and focus on not running into someone). So I asked if they were keeping track of their pace and if so what it was. I think they thought I was being competitive because they were a little awkward about it. I explained that my Garmin died and I was trying not to go too fast! They were at 9:43, so I knew I needed to slow down. I finally arrived in Natick and saw my friend Kaity, gave her a hug and off I went again. I was pretty thirsty, even though I drank fluids consistently all weekend in preparation. I drank water at every mile marker water stop. But was still worried about meeting my goal time. I was running on pace only based on how my body felt. I would look up at the mile marker and knew to subtract 50 minutes from the digital clocks (from the 10K mark). I would look down at my pace on my wrist and I was basically 5 minutes ahead of schedule, which was great, because I knew I would need this at the end.
Miracle Mile 10.75: I knew my friend Charlotte decided last minute to run bandit. She was supposed to run 20 miles for her training for the VT Marathon in May. LOW AND BEHOLD, I spotted CHARLOTTE on the back of a yellow shirt. I sped up to catch up to her. She was so excited to see me, we hugged it out and chatted. I explained the Garmin situation and she so kindly gave up her stop watch. And it was perfect timing because mile 11 was coming up and I could restart the stop watch and try to stay on pace as best I could. And it totally did the trick…I GU’d around this point too.
Mile 11 to Mile 13: This stretch I think is extremely boring. There are too many people out cheering and it’s mostly a residential area. But before you know it, you can hear the Wellesley “Scream Tunnel.” As I entered Wellesley College I was re-energized. There were hundreds of girls outside with signs “Kiss me!” for all the guys and constant cheering! Girls I didn’t know cheering for me just because I wrote my name on my arm. Before I knew it, I was past the half way mark.
Mile 13 to Mile 17: As I rounded some corners in Wellesley, I recognized some familiar faces. Ryan’s (let’s just say brother-in-law, it’s easiest) Brian and his girlfriend Christine were NOT paying attention but were walking. I spotted them first! “CHRISTINE!… BRIAN!” And they turned, cheered and held up the sign! It was so great to see people I knew! And just a few feet away were Ryan, Shana and Andy, holding signs my friend Melissa had made! Melissa’s company makes all the signs for the marathon and she hooked Ryan up! Ryan rang his cowbell to alert his Mom, her bf Lee, cousin Nick and aunt Kathy, who were all cheering, taking photographs, etc. Soon after I was passing mile 14 and a downhill appeared (felt so good). Mile 15 and 16 were tough, bringing me closer to Heartbreak Hill. The crowd a Newton-Wellesley Hospital was also amazing!! I also GU’d before HB Hill.
Mile 18 to Mile 21: Just before the turn onto Comm. Ave for HB Hill, I spotted my aunt Mary! She was with her 3 kids, my uncle John, his wife Rebecca and my littlest cousin Seamus! I gave each of them a hug! It was such a great surprise and in the perfect spot! It totally motivated me for HB Hill! I knew I could power through! I took the turn onto Comm. Ave and the Kiss 108 DJ was the fire station. I spotted Leslie, a mentee of mine from Team Challenge last season, gave her a high five! Shortly after mile 18, the first “little hill” after the turn, I saw a couple that Ryan and I know, Jackie and Phil. Phil just got back from the Middle East, gave them both a huge hug, and Jackie’s mom – and kept on cruising. I refused to walk HB Hill. It honestly hurt to even walk and felt so much better to just power up the hills. I did so much training on these, I knew I could do it. I knew how many hills there were and where the flats came in. Around Mile 20, I saw my friend Meesh from Saint Mike’s hockey. She was at the tent for her Physical Therapy company she works for! Before I knew it, I was at the top of HB Hill and in the midst of the CRAZY Boston College crowd. Last year, I enjoyed this part, but this year, the crowd was out of control. Students were in the course and the cops weren’t doing anything. They kept trying to touch runners to get them to high five. But it just motivated me to keep going. I took my chocolate outrage (fave flavor, tastes like brownie mix) at the top, as this was my “dessert.”
Mile 22 to 25: Around mile 22, I saw Ryan and crew. I wasn’t feeling well at this point and he could see it in me. I handed off my fuel belt and kept plugging along. I knew I had 1.5 miles until I would see the Team Challenge cheer squad. I pass mile 23 and kept looking for them. I finally saw them! YAY motivation! Ali ran with me for a few, caught me up on how those were doing that passed and I thanked her. Off I went. Before I knew it my friend Leslie, also from college hockey, ran up beside me in her flip flops calling my name! She ran with me for a bit, said I looked great (even though I felt like shit) and off I went again. I heard some randoms call my name, which helped and just kept looking for people I knew. This part of the stretch is where I kept looking at my left hand GRIT. My power word. This also got me through the race. Just remembering that I have grit and perseverance. I can do this. I GU’d around mile 23, but it was awful. My mouth felt so gross and my stomach was turning. I took half and threw the rest away.
Last 1.2 to go: Fenway was a blast! So many people, a few I knew as well! The little dip under the Mass. Ave bridge and up a small hill, WOOF. But before I knew it, my favorite part. Right into Hereford, Left onto Boylston. I was a little less emotional than last year, but started to tremble and tear up. The finish line looked so far away. But I pushed as fast as I could, looking and listening for anyone calling my name. Although there were a ton of runners finishing, I felt like I had an open road. I dug deep inside me to sprint to the finish. My goal was in sight. NO matter what, I had a PR, but I wanted to kill my goal time. I saw my aunt Nancy on the right, then my mom, sister and cousin just after her… and then my friends Vanessa, Katelyn, Jeff and Lisa just before the finish.
Finish Line: Last year, I threw my hands up for the finish photo. This year, it was a blur. I honestly don’t even know what I did! But I started to tear up. The announcer spotted my jersey and said, “HEY! Donate Life, there’s no crying!” I laughed and smiled. The volunteers were SO helpful! One woman helped me put the heat sheet on and she taped it to keep it on. I got blinged. I met my family and friends in the family meeting area for some photos.
After, the Cops for Kids with Cancer bus took as back to the BAC. We had free range of the club, showers, etc. I was so hungry and wanted to save the shower for later. My grandparents also met me at the cookout, along with my mom, aunt, sister, cousin, Ryan and friends.
Stats: My official splits are below. I wanted to figure out what my pace was each split, so I calculated in excel and pasted below. Final official time was 4:38:06!!! I know you’re all wondering about my goal and my dream. My goal was 4:40. I think if it was a little cooler out, I would have been less dehydrated and probably could have run a bit faster. I was so used to running in the cold but I think the treadmill workouts helped a lot since you get really hot. I dreamt that I finished in 4:20. Which I knew was probably not what would happen, but I think it was motivation that I could meet my goal. I have a weird intuition and given my dream before Hyannis, this only gave me positive energy. A PR by about 34 minutes!
Things I would have done differently: Double checked that my Garmin was charged properly the night before (although last I looked it did, so not sure what’s going on with it). I would have worn sunscreen! You can definitely see where my headband was along my hairline and my shoulders/top of my arms are burnt as well, but not too bad! I also would have used some body glide on my feet. I have one nasty blister on the bottom of my right foot. Other than that, nothing!
What I learned: I know my body better than I thought. The Garmin is just a bonus and I clearly didn’t need it yesterday! I’m really proud of myself that I was able to pace without it. AND come in under my goal!
Battle Wounds: Sunburn and blister. Tight quads.
Bling: Unicorn medal, 2011 Boston Marathon Jacket, 2 cool t-shirts, 1 long sleeve tech jersey courtesy of Adidas and BAA… and sick “Let’s Go Remdawg!” posters… memories… plenty of love via facebook, text and email
*Did I forget anything? Anything else you’d like to know about the race, leave a comment below!*
Song of the Post: "We are the Champions" - Queen
Just got chills...such a great recap! Will be re-reading this the night before my marathon :-)
ReplyDeleteLove it!!
ReplyDeleteCONGRATULATIONS!!! Amazing PR and you nailed your goal time!!!!!
ReplyDelete