Monday, March 28, 2011

Got grit?

Not really sure where I got it from, but one thing I have always had my entire life was drive. I was never the best at anything but I always gave 210% to everything and anything I did. I like to think I still do now. But I also could never allow myself to be completely bad at something I did either. If I wasn’t happy with the results, I always worked harder. If I got a B, I needed an A next semester. I left high school with academic awards and coach’s awards from hockey and softball and my college career only out did that by providing an extensive resume that is sometimes hard to keep to one page. But now I know that a success isn’t as sweet without adversity. It only makes victory better by overcoming something. (Not that my prior successes didn’t have this either, but I think it becomes more apparent as you get older and life becomes more complicated.)

This weekend was great. I completely surprised myself (and probably others) with my 20 miler results. I felt great. I pushed myself but sort of by accident. I just listened to how my body felt and it got me there. But the best part of the weekend was just being able to enjoy that “runner’s high” and relax. Saturday night I was able to catch up on the March and April issues of Women's Health Magazine. This is definitely by far my favorite magazine. Most of the time I will just skim through and find some great recipes or exercises. But the April issue had an article that finally caught me eye and “spoke to me.” Determination: How to Get What You Want.

Read it for yourself. The article is about GRIT. What is grit do you ask?

“Defined as ‘sustained perseverance and passion for long-term goals…Grit entails working strenuously toward challenges and maintaining effort and interest despite failure, adversity, and plateaus.’"

Boylston

My point? I think that grit is essential to long distance running. Not every run is going to be your best. Not every run is your body going to feel good. But you have to be mentally prepared to work through the road blocks. Because your greatest success is overcoming these difficulties, whatever it may be during your training. No matter how fast you are, no matter how long you’ve been running – you need grit.

I think this training cycle I definitely had several frustrations. My training didn’t turn out the way I had envisioned – but it turned out for the best. It turned out the way it was supposed to be. I’m glad it worked out how it did too! I learned a lot about myself in the meantime.  And I just hope that come race day, 3 week from now, I can say that I ran the best that I could and felt just as I did this past Saturday. And I can’t thank Ryan, my friends and family enough for all their support.

I just wish time would hurry up and fast forward to Monday April 18th!

Today’s workout: 45 minute lunch spin class at the gym (lots of hills and sprint intervals, music was OK)

Song of the Post: "The Climb" - Miley Cyrus (heck yes, this is on the running mix)

1 comment:

  1. Now that I have happened to come across this article and have been totally reminded of you, I am putting together all the pieces. I absolutely agree about distance running. What's more is that I think this applies to many things in life - careers, marriages, even friendships... grit is definitely an important "ingredient," if you will. I'm working on my grittiness. :)

    ReplyDelete