Wednesday, March 30, 2011

18 days and counting…

Not a lot of people have the opportunity to work out during the day at their jobs. My ex-co-workers/friends from my old job are shocked (jealous maybe I could say?) that I’m able to go to the gym during lunch. I’ve been pretty bored at my job lately and luckily they encourage myself and a co-worker Ben to go for our runs, etc. They know it’s important to us. So far, they haven’t said we can’t do it. My current job is completely different from my old job. At my old job I was constantly in meetings. It didn’t matter if I had something planned, the BOSS’s schedule was more important. The CLIENT was always asking for something. At my new job, I know what needs to get done and I’m able to budget my time better. And people ask WHAT WORKS BEST FOR YOU? So these are the upsides to my new job. FINDING THE GOOD! So although I know I am completely overqualified for my position, I’m making the best for now. And am also extremely lucky to have a job in this economy…so

Boylston

Today, Ben and I had planned to run together at lunch. He’s much faster than I am, usually runs close to a 7:15 pace. He asked to run together one other time but then didn’t really run with me. Then told me today he would stick with me and push me to run faster. I went to the gym to change so I could shower after and he met me there. We set out and ran down Comm. Ave to Fenway, around the park and then back down Comm. Ave. Ben planned the route, so I really wasn’t sure where he was going. I’m very much a planner and because running is such a mental game, I think I couldn’t really get into the run. Also, we didn’t run very far so it took me until we finished the run to even get warmed up! My body is definitely conditioning into a long distance runner, it’s weird. Anyway, my garmin was messing up but luckily Ben had his (I think I was too close the the buildings). But at times we were close to an 8:30 pace (damn, I was breathing hard too) but ended with an overall 8:57 pace, 3.49 miles in 31:17 minutes. Kudos to Ben for pushing me. I don’t think he can stand running my usual slow pace. But I’m definitely getting faster. I’ll get there!

DSC_0192

If you asked me a few weeks ago if I would run the marathon, or a marathon, again next year, I would probably say no. But I feel really good at where I am at and how my training turned out. I think I probably would try to get better at the week day runs, but this winter has been tough and the treadmill is not appealing.

DSC_0228DSC_0223DSC_0211DSC_0230

18 days to go until the BIG DAY! I’m getting extremely excited. OK, top 5 things I’m excited for:

5. Cops for Kids with Cancer is providing us with luxury buses to the start with a police escort! HOW COOL IS THAT? Oh and a police escort from the finish to the after party

4. The after party hosted by CFKWC at the Boston Athletic Club. The best part is that family and friends are invited for free too! The only thing anyone has to pay for is booze. I’m hoping I can bring my own champagne!

3. The crowd! Everyone knows that Boston has the best spectators. The entire course, the crowd does not thin out. I ran the entire marathon last year without an i-pod because there are just so many people out there cheering. I was constantly looking for people I knew (and saw them every few miles if not less than that, it was amazing!).

2. Crossing the finish line! It’s such an amazing accomplishment and I really can’t believe I’m doing it again. I’m hoping for a PR but I’ll be happy to cross regardless!

1.  Right onto Hereford Street left onto Boylston – I think this moment was my most favorite last year! The crowd was amazing and I was stunned!

DSC_0222

Today’s Workout: 3.49 mile run in Boston – 8:57 avg. pace – 31:17 min

Song of the Post: Kate Counts Down posted on her twitter page today about a website that puts together a playlist for your pace. My aunt Mary had told me about this last year but now I’ve found it! I put in 10:00 pace, which will be a little faster than my marathon pace or around target and it seems right on! Jog FM - 10:00 pace The best part is that I already have most of these songs so I only have a few to download! (UM, Fatboy Slim? AWESOME! ANYONE ELSE EXCITED ABOUT THAT?)

1 comment: