all my gear laid out the night before
(Biba, GU, sports beans, socks, sneakers, fleece headband, gloves, fuel belt, sunglasses, ipod, garmin, true-power bracelet, lip balm and clothes)
Saturday I ran the 20 miler from Framingham into the finish line again. Last weekend I ran for the mileage and didn’t really feel great about how it went (pace, glute, etc). This weekend I wanted to pick it up and really see what I could do. I was out at Ryan’s for the weekend so I had him drop my off in Framingham for 8am start. I was planning on meeting my friend Katie (who ran with me last weekend) between mile 10 and 11 at Newton-Wellesley Hospital.
As I started, runners were already out there. A group of people had started in Hopkinton and finished on Heartbreak Hill. Also, FitCorp (local gym) bussed out 3 buses of runners from Boston to Framingham. As I started my run, I saw these buses go by. I knew other runners that were partaking in that group run as well. It was extremely motivating and inspiring to see so many people out on the course for (most likely) their last long run before Boston. We are so lucky to be able to live so close to the course and to do as much training as we want on the actual course. Most people can’t. I felt so lucky yesterday during my run and just kept a great attitude the entire time. I was just so happy to be outside in the beautiful spring/winter weather (it was 25 degrees when I started!) and to be around so many people with the same goal. There were actually a lot of charity runners out there so that was pretty cool. Everyone running for a cause that means something to them. To me, this is what running is all about. Not just personal goals, but the experience.
I felt so great that I really didn’t look at my Garmin much but the few times I did before mile 8 I was keeping under a 10:00 min/mile pace (woohoo!). There were so many charity groups sponsoring water stops with water, Gatorade and energy bars/gels. I had brought my own stuff, water in the fuel belt and carried a can of Biba with me. I also brought 3 GUs and sports beans but only ended up using 2 GUs. I took the first one around mile 8 and the second one around mile 12 right before Heartbreak Hill.
Around mile 7.25 I saw my Dad’s friend Billy run by. I called out his name and we caught up and chatted for a few. Bill has run a number of Boston Marathons and actually encouraged me to run this year. I wasn’t planning on it but he told me once everyone started training I would regret it if I didn’t sign up (I think he was totally right!). Off Billy went, as he is targeting a sub 3:30 marathon.
I kept cruising along and let Katie know my estimated time of arrival. I got to her sooner than expected since I ran sub 10:00 splits for 8 out of the first 10 miles. I felt great when I got to her but stretched for a quick minute before we were off. Before we knew it we were turning onto Comm. Ave, right before Heartbreak Hill starts. There’s a smaller hill at the beginning that’s sort of a teaser. There were also a ton of vendors out with water stops such as Lu Lu Lemon, Adidas and New Balance. It was so cool to see all the support out there on Saturday.
I honestly was nervous that I was going to burn out by the end because of the great pace I was keeping, but I felt strong finishing and really pushed the last couple of miles. Heartbreak Hill felt like a breeze again compared to the hills I’ve been running during training. I feel like I really prepared myself well this training cycle. We finally reached the top of the last hill at BC and high fived a couple times! Before we knew it we cruised right down Beacon Street – and then to my favorite part – RIGHT onto Hereford, LEFT onto Boylston! Then we did some bopping and weaving around people on the sidewalk and B-lined it to the finish! WHAT A GREAT FEELING TO BE DONE WITH THE LAST LONG RUN!
Katie is a great running buddy because she has such a great spirit. She just runs along with you and always has great stories. We have great conversations during our runs which always makes them go by fast. I’m also really proud of her because of how she totally picked it up on her training this past month. She’s been an inspiration to me as well.
I honestly felt so great on Saturday. Although the second half of the run was a little slower than the first half, due to heartbreak hill, meeting up with Katie and a couple times to stop and stretch (my glute, her hamstrings) between hills on HB, we made great time! It was fun to meet runners along the way, at the finish and on the train ride back to Framingham where Ryan picked me up.
Katie and me at the finish line on Boylston St. post run
Splits Stats
from BAA's website
Tomorrow marks 3 weeks to go, I can’t believe it. When you start training it seems like an eternity away and then all of a sudden it’s around the corner. I’m looking forward to the butterflies, the carbo-loading, the expo and just the overall excitement around Boston. It’s one of my favorite times of the year and it always will be.
*How was your training this weekend? Did anyone run a race?*
SHOUTOUT TO MY FRIEND MEG IN VT WHO SMOKED HER 5K, COMING IN JUST OVER 26 MINUTES! SO PROUD OF YOU MEG!
Song of the Post: "Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough" - Michael Jackson (this pretty much sums up why I ran 20 miles again this weekend and why I killed it!)
No comments:
Post a Comment