Saturday morning, alarm sounds at 6am. I hit snooze, roll over and snuggle with Ryan. I hit snooze again until 6:15. I don’t even get up this early for work during the week and I’m about to get up and run 20 miles!?! WOOF.
I got dressed and then went to the kitchen to make mini bagels for my friend Katie and I to eat on the commuter rail train from Boston to Framingham, where we would meet Catie and Kim for our 20 mile training run on the course. I left my apartment ay 6:45am, hopped on the bus to Copley Square. Grabbed a tall non-fat chai latte and headed to the train station to meet Katie. There were lots of other runners there, so exciting! We found a seat on the train and chowed down on our breakfast.
Before we knew it, we were at Framingham where Catie and Kim were waiting. I hydrated with some Biba (all natural, hydrating drink).
Once we all got our gear on, we were off around 8:45am (2 hour journey just to start!!!) We chatted and caught up for a few miles and then Catie and Kim picked up the speed but Katie and I weren’t too far behind. It was so fun reaching each town line and anticipating the next! It was a beautiful spring day, sun was out and SO many runners! I loved that everyone was so encouraging: saying hi, telling each other and us that we were doing a great job, and just knowing that everyone was out there for the same reason – to cross the finish line at Boston.
We stopped in Wellesley for Katie to use the restroom, and we bumped into Catie and Kim as well! Soon we were all back hitting the pavement.
I loved Marathon Sports’ window display! Very inspiring and double points for the St Patty’s Day theme!
Before we knew it, we were taking the turn onto Comm Ave, about to hit Heartbreak Hill. The time went by so fast! I always feel like Katie and I have something to talk about and it made the time pass by so quickly. We hit the first mini hill before the real Heartbreak started. I was in the zone but saw some guy coming down on his bike and he yelled out “Come on you slow pokes!” I smiled but was so confused! Then realized that it was our friend and coach from this past Team Challenge season! He had biked out to the current team’s run in the morning and was headed back to Natick. Marc is also training for the Boston Marathon, raising money for the CCFA and running the Providence Marathon 20 days later! (He’s nuts, but totally an awesome athlete!) Marc rode with us for about a half mile, and off we went. FIRST Heartbreak Hill. It had nothing on us. We felt great. Since I had experienced it before, I talked Katie through the hills; talking about the race, her knees, what we plan to do after, etc. And before we knew it, HB Hill was done and we were passing Boston College!
Hills don’t bother me as much as the downhill. My hips were sore and my glutes were tight. We had just completed 15 miles and had 5 to go. I wanted to just push through as much as I could but it was a struggle. As much as I pushed, I couldn’t go faster than a 12 minute mile.
Katie and I pushed each other down Beacon Street.
And before we knew it, we were almost HOME. The Citgo sign!
And my favorite part of the run – right onto Hereford, left on Boylston!
We sprinted down Boylston street to the finish! I had to hop right on the bus to head home and prepare for my Wine & Beer tasting fundraiser for Cops for Kids with Cancer. I was running behind schedule but the event was a HUGE success! I was able to raise $1400, closing in at $3998 total so far! I couldn’t have done it without my friends and family helping with the food! And to Wine on Deck for donating some raffle items, Derby Street Wine Store, Martignetti Liquors and Atlas Liquors for donating the wine and beer.
Run Stats: 20 miles; 3:59, 11:57 pace (hoping to improve this time next week)
Song of the Post: No i-pod yesterday… need new songs, suggestions?
No comments:
Post a Comment