"Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way. Run often and run long, but never outrun your joy of running."
—Julie Isphording, winner of the 1990 LA Marathon
(Runner's World Quote today)
Sometimes I think we forget that basic concept of why we run. And for most people, we can say it’s fun! Sure we have goals, we want to get faster and PR races, or have a training cycle that is injury free. But most importantly, I think we cannot lose sight of the fun aspect. This is my inspiration for this week and the next 5 weeks of preparation for Boston.
Recap of last week: After Stu’s 30K, I was feeling pretty burnt out. I knew that I needed to allow myself some recovery time. Tuesday I walked home from the grocery store, Wednesday I ran out the treadmill (I think? can’t remember) and Thursday I did my typical lunch time spin class. Not much to report except my right glute has been bothering me (random). But it’s deep inside the glute and not something that is obvious. I’ve stretched and foam rolled but it hasn’t gone away, although it is subsiding.
Saturday I went for a shorter, long-run. I needed some time to recover. My goal was to cover 10 miles, but the route I planned out in Ryan’s neck of the woods ended up having a couple decent hills (clearly cannot avoid them out there). I also thought at one point I would have an Uta Pigpig moment. I texted Ryan knowing he would be out of basketball around the same time I would be getting back. I asked him to pick me up when he spotted me! So, I ended up doing 8.87 miles. It was less than I wanted to but also my body needed a recovery weekend before my two long runs during the upcoming weeks.
Sunday kicked off “wedding season” for me with my first bridal shower. Although it only involved eating and watching someone open gifts, I was exhausted. I did an errand for my sister to pick up some wedding related stuff for her wedding after then headed back to the city for some grocery shopping. I made dinner for my friend Shana. I love making dinner on Sundays that give me leftovers for the week! And even better when I can cook for someone else AND they tell me it was even better the next day!
Garlic Bread (bread in a bag from Shaw’s – added cheese to one half)
Lasagna with Ground Turkey (protein) and Cottage Cheese (instead of Ricotta)
I ended the night folding laundry and watching Season 1 of Grey’s Anatomy on instant Netflix (I love my wii!). And a little R&R for my feet and knees.
These ice packs are from CVS (peas on the inside and Velcro for the knees!) – I believe $9.99 ea – one of the best thing's I’ve bought for my post-run recovery activities!
*What do you do for recovery?*
*What’s one of your favorite healthy meals to make?*
*What’s your favorite “old skool” song?*
Song of the Post: "Poison" - Belle Biv Devoe
Cool Blog- found you on DAILY MILE :)
ReplyDeleteI recover usually with a "NOW" protein shake or some chocolate milk!
One of my many healthy meals to make would be my homemade hummus..
Favorite old skool song: anything NSYNC! lol- use to love those guys.
Trying to get some more blogger friends with the same interest, looks like we have similar blogs :)
www.chefnurse.blogspot.com